Notification, insurance and reporting obligations

Residents taking a trip into the large protected areas must report their trip to the office of the Governor of Svalbard no later than four weeks before the planned trip. The office of the Governor of Svalbard sets the requirements for what such a notification must contain. For a group trip, it is sufficient to send a joint notification form. The notification must be sent electronically.

The areas in which you have an obligation to give notification are:

  • Nordvest-Spitsbergen National Park
  • Forlandet National Park
  • Sør-Spitsbergen National Park
  • Nordaust-Svalbard Nature Reserve
  • Søraust-Svalbard Nature Reserve

If you are going to drive snow scooters to these areas, you must apply in advance.

The Governor of Svalbard may instruct residents to take out search and rescue insurance to cover any searches, rescue operations or medical transportation that may be necessary in connection with the trip.