Svalbard residents can travel around most of the archipelago in both summer and winter. You have an obligation to give notification and report if you are going to enter the large protected areas.

The Governor of Svalbard can set requirements for search and rescue insurance.

You are resident in Svalbard when you have registered in the Population Register of Svalbard and intend to stay in Svalbard for a minimum of six months.

Download documents