Recommends the use of face masks
Due to increased infection on the mainland, the risk of infection also increases in Svalbard. The Longyearbyen local council, the Governor and Longyearbyen hospital therefore recommend the use of face masks in a number of places.
- The use of face masks will prevent the spreading of infection. It will also make infection detection easier. Infection tracing is a demanding job that takes up the health personnel's resources, which can reduce the preparedness for other incidents on Svalbard, infection control doctor Knut Selmer at Longyearbyen hospital.
The recommendation is primarily to use face masks indoors in public spaces such as:
- In restaurants, except when sitting at the table.
- At the airport in the common areas.
- Other public places where it is difficult to keep a distance of 1 meter.
- The recommendation does not apply in kindergarten and Longyearbyen school. Nor for children under 12 years of age. We hope and believe that people understand the seriousness of this and will follow the recommendation as best they can, Knut Selmer says.