Svalbard Guidelines (Svalbardvettreglene)
The local tourist business and the Governor have established a set of Svalbard Guidelines. They describe how visitors should behave.
- Don't be an Arctic litterbug! Leave no lasting signs of your visit.
- Birds and other animals are not to be disturbed. Remember, you are the guest.
- Help take care of the biodiversity. Do not pick flowers.
- Leave old cultural remains alone. Law protects all traces of humans from before 1946.
- It is prohibited to lure, pursue or otherwise seek out polar bears in such a way as to disturb them or expose either bears or humans to danger.
- Don`t leave settlements without a suitable gun, and experience in using it.
- Be considerate to others.
- Contact the Governor's office (Sysselmannen) if planning a longer field excursion. A mandatory registration applies for travel to large parts of Svalbard.
- Acquaint yourself with the rules and regulations pertaining to travel and other tourist activities in Svalbard.
- For the sake of both the environment and yourself, we recommend organized tour arrangements.
It is impossible being an invisible tourist, but we do appreciate your trying.