Introduces measures against avalanches and cornice fall
In today's weather forecast, much rain and high temperatures are expected throughout the evening and night. Based on these weather forecasts and clear advices from Skred AS, the following measures are introduced:
• Prohibition of residence in the upper row of houses in Nybyen is introduced from 18.00 hrs Friday due to danger of cornice fall. (See map)
• The bridge over the river from Vannledningsdalen ("Perleporten") is closed due to the risk of minor slush avalanches. (See map).
• Due to the danger of cornice fall, the road from Haugen to Nybyen will only be open for car transportation for residents and guests in the hotels and the Coalminers restaurant in Nybyen.
• Road 300 from the junction at bridge (Road 501) to Huset will still be closed.
• The restaurant at Huset will be accessible from the side facing Longyearelva. Huset will make their own guard arrangements.
• The nightclub in Huset will be closed.
• The road further up to Sverdrupbyen will still be closed for all traffic except for organized transportation by car to the restaurant in Gruvelageret.
• The ski trail will still be closed.
- It is expected that the temperatures will fall and the rainfall will decline on Saturday and that situation will normalize, says Governor Kjerstin Askholt.
- We will therefore make a new assessment together with Skred AS tomorrow, Saturday, she says.
The Governor asks people not to move in the mountainsides on the upper side of the settlement and generally take their precautions when they go out in the terrain. Follow www.varsom.no
Due to the increased risk of cornice falls, the Governor recommends that people do not enter the hiking area towards Larsbreen until the situation is clarified and normalized.