Ordering evacuation of Lia and Nybyen
The Governor has decided to evacuate the houses and to impose a ban on entering the terrain in Lia and Nybyen on the upper side of the road (see attached map). The evacuation will take effect from 22:00 Monday night and until further notice. The decision has been made in light of current weather prognosis and professional avalance risk assessments from NVE.
The Norwegian Meteorological Institute reports that there is a possiblity of heavy rain and snow, as well as storm from the southeast in exposed areas starting Tuesday morning. The wind is expected to decrease Tuesday night.
- The NVE is currently reporting a considerable risk of avalanches – danger level 3. We strongly encourage everyone to avoid entering the terrain, both on foot, on skis and with snowmobiles, says Governor Kjerstin Askholt.
- We are closely monitoring the weather situation while communicating continuously with the NVE, Askholt informs.
The plowing crews will face conditions with poor visibility. The Governor urges everyone to take great care when travelling on or along the road. Loose objects have to be secured against the wind.
- We ask people to take precautionary measures and to stay updated using the websites of the Governor and Longyearbyen Community Council. Information will be published continuously through these channels, says Governor Askholt.
Longyearbyen Community Council encourages the evacuees to make private arrangements for accommodation.
- Those who are still in need of accommodation can contact the housing office that has been established in the foyer in Næringsbygget, says Morten Dyrstad in Longyearbyen Community Council.